Happy Mother's Day! We hope all of the mothers reading today are enjoying a happy and relaxing Mother's Day weekend.
We are very excited to have paleo author and blogger Marla Sarris as our feature chef this month. She was kind enough to share some of her new recipes this month - all with a Mexican flair! If you enjoy Mexican food, she has perfected some of the most traditional recipes with a paleo twist in her new book, Los Paleo, which can be downloaded or ordered in paperback. Based off the photos we have seen so far, the cookbook will be a must-have for any kitchen!
As many of you have probably heard, the Senate passed the Marketplace Fairness Act (or internet sales tax) on Monday and this important piece of legislation now moves on to the House for their decision. We have been watching this bill very closely, as it will have huge impacts for us as an online business. Currently, we are only required to charge sales tax on orders placed in the state of Missouri, since this is where we have a physical presence. If this Act passes and is made into law, all of our customers whose states have a sales tax would be forced to pay sales tax on their purchases, and we would have to update our software and programming to calculate the correct sales taxes for each customer, and then report these taxes to all of the respective states. As you can imagine, not only does dealing with multiple state tax authorities sound a bit daunting for our limited staff, but there will be a host of costs associated with implementing the technology necessary to comply with the new regulations. We just want to make everyone aware of the current legislation, and encourage you to contact your elected officials with any questions or concerns.
Are you ready for Memorial Day? The kickoff to summer is right around the corner! This winter has seemed to drag on forever, so we are looking forward to the season change. Don't wait until its too late to stock up on grilling essentials - please have all orders in by 10:00 CST next Wednesday, May 22 to ensure delivery before Memorial Day. If you want to save on your Memorial Day order, there is a 15% discount code in Dr. Al Sears' article below that is active through this Tuesday. This will be the last discount code available before Memorial Day!
Mark your calendars - the next Grassfed Exchange seminar is scheduled for August 20-22 in Bismarck, ND. For anyone in the grass-fed production industry this is a conference you won't want to miss. The scheduled speaker list is very impressive, and this session will also include tours of Gabe Brown's ranch and fellow pioneers in cocktail cover crops for cattle and soil tilth. Visit their website for more information, and to register now.
We want to salute all of those celebrating graduations this month. Congratulations on your achievements and best of luck in all of your future endeavors.
John, Lee Ann, Tressa, Jennifer, Amanda & Laura on behalf of the farm families of US Wellness Meats.
Toll Free: (877) 383-0051
Direct Line: (573) 767-9040
Fax: (573) 767-5475
15% Discount Code Available!
- Read Dr. Al Sears' article below.
- Find the bold, 3-red-letter code word spelled out in order.
- Code active Sunday - Tuesday this week.
- Applies to any order under 40 lbs, excluding any sale items, bulk boxes, volume discounts, and gift certificates
Dr. Al Sears, M.D.|
A Double Hit to Your Body
By: Al Sears, MD
For years, doctors in the know have warned their patients about the causes of chronic inflammation like smoking, environmental toxins, and processed foods.
But newest research I've been looking at suggests that short telomeres are the ultimate trigger for inflammation, which is the real culprit behind heart disease, diabetes and even Alzheimer's.
I've talked to you about telomeres before. But the reason I keep mentioning them is that telomeres are the basic clocks that tell your body how old your cells are. And everything that happens from the time you are born is dependent on how old the telomere tells your body to act.
Think about it...you have the same genes your entire life. So why do you appear and behave differently at 55 years old than you did when you were 5? The answer is that the telomere has changed, and it's telling your body to transcribe a different set of genes.
And get this...we've discovered how to control that process and I'm going to show you exactly how to do it. So now, by maintaining the length of your telomeres, you can reverse inflammation and prevent those chronic diseases.
A new, compelling study from the University of California at San Francisco gives us clear evidence that telomere length is the key. It determines your risk and severity of the disease of inflammation.
Researchers looked at 1,962 healthy men and women between the ages of 70 and 79. Those with short telomeres had high levels of two pro-inflammatory factors interleukin-6 (IL-6) and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-a). (1)
Both IL-6 and TNF-a are known as cytokines, a group of compounds that cause chronic inflammation.Continue Reading...
Editors Note: Dr. Al Sears, M.D. is a board-certified clinical nutrition specialist. His practice, Dr. Sears' Health & Wellness Center in Royal Palm Beach, Fla., specializes in alternative medicine. He is the author of seven books in the fields of alternative medicine, anti-aging, and nutritional supplementation, including The Doctor's Heart Cure. To get his free special report on the proven anti-aging strategies for building a vibrant, disease-free life, go here now. You'll learn how to stop Father Time without giving up the foods you love.
Don't Feed Your Kids Fruit
(without Doing THIS First!)
By: Kelley Herring, Healing Gourmet
If you're concerned about toxic residues on your produce, you're not alone.
More and more Americans are choosing organics to help reduce their exposure to harmful substances. Pesticides, herbicides and other biocides can have a range of negative effects on adults. But these chemicals are of even greater concern for children. In fact, studies have shown that the levels of pesticide residues on some produce exceed the level deemed "safe" for kids.
Even a Little Can Be Harmful
But what is a "safe" amount of pesticide residue, anyway?
According to recent research, the answer may be zero. In fact, even minute exposures in the womb and during infancy and early childhood can lead to serious health issues later in life.
- Leukemia: A study published in Therapeutic Drug Monitoring found that mothers who were exposed to pesticides at least once had a two- to seven-times greater risk of having a child diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) - the most common form of childhood cancer - before the age of two.
- ADHD: A 2010 Harvard study published in the journal Pediatrics found that children with higher levels of organophosphate pesticide metabolites in their blood were twice as likely to be diagnosed with ADHD.
- Food Allergies: Researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine found that people with high levels of dichlorophenol (a breakdown product of an herbicide) and chlorine (found in tap water) were more likely to have allergies to milk, eggs, seafood, and peanuts. Biocides reduce healthy bacteria levels in the gut, which in turn affects the body's immune reactions to allergens.
- Autism: Organophosphate pesticides are neurotoxins. They work by targeting neurological systems of insects. And recent research suggests these chemicals can have similar effects on people, especially children. A study published in Environmental Health Perspectives found that children were six times more likely to be diagnosed with autism if their mothers had spent their early pregnancy in homes within 500 meters of fields with the highest levels of organophosphate application, compared to those not living near agricultural fields.
Ed. Note: Kelley Herring is the Founder and Editor of Healing Gourmet - the leading provider of organic, sustainable recipes and meal plans for health and weight loss. Be sure to grab Healing Gourmet's free books - Eating Clean & Saving Green: Your Guide to Organic Foods on a Budget (includes 100+ foods at the best prices) and Eat Your Way Into Shape: Flip Your Body's Fat Blasting Switch and Melt 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks (includes a delicious 7 day meal plan!). Claim your free copies here...
|Recent Health News|
Sunshine Could Benefit Health and Prolong Life, Study Suggests
Exposing skin to sunlight may help to reduce blood pressure, cut the risk of heart attack and stroke - and even prolong life, a study suggests.
Researchers have shown that when our skin is exposed to the sun's rays, a compound is released in our blood vessels that helps lower blood pressure.
The findings suggest that exposure to sunlight improves health overall, because the benefits of reducing blood pressure far outweigh the risk of developing skin cancer.
The study has been carried out by the University of Edinburgh.
Heart disease and stroke linked to high blood pressure are estimated to lead to around 80 times more deaths than those from skin cancer, in the UK.
Production of this pressure-reducing compound - called nitric oxide - is separate from the body's manufacture of vitamin D, which rises after exposure to sunshine. Until now it had been thought to solely explain the sun's benefit to human health, the scientists add.
The landmark proof-of-principle study will be presented on Friday in Edinburgh at the world's largest gathering of skin experts.
Researchers studied the blood pressure of 24 volunteers who sat beneath tanning lamps for two sessions of 20 minutes each. In one session, the volunteers were exposed to both the UV rays and the heat of the lamps. In the other, the UV rays were blocked so that only the heat of the lamps affected the skin.
The results showed that blood pressure dropped significantly for one hour following exposure to UV rays, but not after the heat-only sessions. Scientists say that this shows that it is the sun's UV rays that lead to health benefits. The volunteers' vitamin D levels remained unaffected in both sessions.
Dr Richard Weller, Senior Lecturer in Dermatology at the University of Edinburgh, said: "We suspect that the benefits to heart health of sunlight will outweigh the risk of skin cancer. The work we have done provides a mechanism that might account for this, and also explains why dietary vitamin D supplements alone will not be able to compensate for lack of sunlight.
"We now plan to look at the relative risks of heart disease and skin cancer in people who have received different amounts of sun exposure. If this confirms that sunlight reduces the death rate from all causes, we will need to reconsider our advice on sun exposure."
University of Edinburgh. "Sunshine could benefit health and prolong life, study suggests." ScienceDaily, 7 May 2013. Web. 8 May 2013.
|Athlete Corner - Scott Mendelson Q&A|
Need To Burn 10 More Pounds to Be Summer Ready?
By: Scott Mendelson
We have 10-15 more pounds to lose to be in the best shape of our lives, just in time for summer. How can we do it in a month or less? My husband and I have made good progress over the last eight weeks, but we have hit a plateau regarding fat loss. We were both so excited for the summer with the thought in mind that we would look good on the beach here in sunny California. What areas should we be exploring to make the changes needed to get off those last 10-15 lbs of fat? One other question- how can we schedule "cheat" meals occasionally without slowing down our progress?
Bust Fat Loss Plateaus and Teach the Body to
Burn More Fat as Fuel!
Yes, with the right plan you guys can lose 10-15 lbs of fat in 30 days without increasing the amount of exercise you are doing. Thanks for sending your training and nutrition records as I did review them in detail, but no room to list them in this response. You guys have some great habits in place including an organic diet full of grass fed beef choices
, but many refinements need to be made to bust through the plateau!Teach the Body to Use Stored Fat As Fuel
Your nutrition plan has not changed in three months so it has gotten stale. We need to shake up the amounts of dietary fat, protein and carbohydrate to support your goals of forcing the body to use stored fat as a primary fuel source. This is a process called macronutrient cycling, perfected by Dr. Serrano. You took a great approach when you started three months ago using a low carb, high protein, medium fat plan. However over time this program taught the body to use protein as an energy source instead of stored fat since protein was most abundant...Continue Reading...
Email Scott@infinityfitness.com with your top five problems and you will get a personal response within 12 hours from Scott. Ask for free copies of the Fat Loss Plateau Busting Special Report, Just Say NO To Steady State Cardio Special Report and Rapid Fat Burning Tools. Visit our new blog for Cutting Edge Tips and Success Strategies.
Infinity Fitness INC provides training, fitness, and nutritional information for educational purposes. It is important that you consult with a health professional to ensure that your dietary and health needs are met. It is necessary for you to carefully monitor your progress and to make changes to your nutritional and fitness program to enjoy success. Infinity Fitness does not employ dietitians or health professionals and assumes no responsibility or liability for your personal health and condition. For more information regarding our Limited Warranty for products and services, please see our disclaimer at InfinityFitness.com. Copyright © Infinity Fitness INC All Rights Reserved 2010
This document is provided by Infinity Fitness INC for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of health or fitness advice. The information is provided "as is" with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Hi Tressa and the USW Meats Team,
I was excited to see that raw, pastured, swiss cheese was included in your product line. Swiss cheese is my favorite cheese but have been unable to find it raw and/or pastured. However, I was skeptical and a little tentative; it couldn't possibly taste very good. Wow, was I wrong! It's got a lovely nutty quality with subtle bright notes. I can confidently say it's the best swiss cheese I've ever tasted.
Once again, I'm so happy to have discovered you and your wonderful food products.
Santa Monica, CA
- 1 1/2 lb salmon filet skinned and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 medium onion
- 2 roma tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee (I used this incredible ghee)
Curry Spice Mix:
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl mix spices from spice mixture and place on the side
- Cut onion into fourths and place in a food processor with garlic and ginger and pulse until you get a paste.
- Heat coconut oil or ghee in a medium sized pan over medium heat and add onion, garlic and ginger paste and saute until slightly transluscent.
- Add spice mixture to the paste and mix to prevent burning. Saute for 2 minutes or until mixture begins to become very fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken stock scraping the bottom of the pan to release any stuck bits then add fish sauce, lime juice from 1 lime, almond butter and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering add cubed salmon and lower heat to low heat, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until salmon flakes with a fork.
- Serve with sauce and chopped fresh cilantro on top.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the very talented Joshua Weissman, author of the inspiring blog SlimPalate. If you haven't checked this website out yet, head over there now!
If you are a blogger or food artist and would like to see your recipes published simply email us.
US Wellness Cattle - Spring Grazing
These US Wellness cattle are enjoying fresh green grass after spring rains on a cloudy evening in Northeast Missouri.
- All orders must weigh at least 7 pounds in order to ship, to ensure everything stays frozen during transit.
- $75 minimum purchase requirement, since we have built the cost of shipping into the price of each product.
- You will never be charged extra for shipping.
- There is a $7.50 handling fee upon checkout.
- The South Carolina Chicken Bundles, Olive Oil and cookbooks ship from separate locations, so they are not included in the 7 lb weight minimum. The shopping cart will keep track and remind you if your order is under the 7 lb limit.
- Receive a $25 discount for every 40 pounds you order. This offer excludes items that ship separate such as the South Carolina Chicken and Olive Oil.
- This is our way of saying thank-you for purchasing in bulk!
- This can be any combination of products totaling 40 pounds and does not have to be specific to any category. Each 40 pound interval will yield the discount - for example, order 80 pounds and we'll take $50 off!
Need to change your address information or remove yourself from our customer newsletter? Click here and enter your email address and store password and you will be able to edit your customer file.
To unsubscribe from this email list, simply click on the SafeUnsubscribe link at the very bottom of this page.
U.S. Wellness Meats does not sell, trade or give away any subscriber information. This isn't just an ethical commitment, it's also a legal one.
Copyright © 2009 by U.S. Wellness Meats. All rights reserved. The content, design and graphical elements of this newsletter are copyrighted.
Please secure written permission of the authors before copying or using this material. Address: